I made the girl some undies! ACTUAL UNDERWEAR! I was so intimidated by the prospect of making them I almost didn’t, in spite of buying a bunch of different materials to do so. For some reason I didn’t see them as an easy project but they SO ARE! Well, unless you’re me.
I searched online for a free tutorial as always and came across this little gem of a site which seemed to be perfect. For whatever reason I cannot link directly to the page I printed off, I work off my phone and it keeps wanting to download instead of open. Clearly my phone and I are having a lack of communication. I liked it best because the author wrote about them fitting an 18mo that weighted about 12kg. My daughter is just 15m, 9kg but I figured I could adjust them.
The pattern and tutorial is beyond easy, except I decided I wanted them to look a little different so I took a hard right at easy and travelled on to difficult Wtf was I thinking and why can’t I just leave things be city. So while I started with the basic pattern provided by The Nappy Network and the end result looks similar, I did not follow the tutorial at all and in fact cut up the pattern to suit my wants.
I cut out the pattern and then chopped it up into three sections, front, back and middle crotch areas, as well cut the waist and leg bands and then just laid them out nice for the picture
I used a combination of upcycled t-shirt and new jersey knit 50% off remnant y’all materials.
I started by attaching the back to the crotch section
Then I needed to attach the front to the crotch area which is how we ended up in difficult city and it gets confusing. I had to twist the material in a way that allowed me to sew the seam but not have it inside out. Basically I wanted the seams hidden. I am not even going to ATTEMPT to explain what I did because that would be disastrous.
Ta-Da! Honestly I am not even sure how I was able to get my over tired brain around that scenario but it happened and I was ecstatic. Two hidden seams! Just like the real store bought made in Taiwan or wherever kind!!! Yes I did do a little Yay me! happy dance at this point.
After sewing both sides together (right sides facing) it was time to pin the band for the leg openings and the top and that’s my bed because Thor :The Dark World was on and I so was not missing some Thor-Loki action to sew a pair of gitch.
I put a band of elastic in the waist but forgot to take a picture of that part….my bad just Google it, it’s totally easy. And there you have them!
I blind sewed the leg holes and next time I will not. I am not a fan of how they look. True to my nature I will in all likelihood take the leg bands off and sew them back on with a regular zig zag or some other, maybe this __/\__/\__
I think they turned out well! Maybe a bit big since they fit well over the diaper! so some minor adjustments will be made for the next pair, including changing the style a bit!