You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘orange’ tag.
I’ve seen many pins on Pinterest about turning old t-shirts into other things like tanks, quilt squares, onsies but I had never attempted anything like that myself….no time like the present! So I packed up the 15mo and headed off to Value Village in search of some “cool” old tees that would make a fun tank top.
I found a sweet black tee with the Atari sign on it and another that simply said “confusion”. I’m sorry I passed on the homemade picture tee with two dogs on it, their names Maggie and Ivy written on the bottom, because when I went back today it was gone insert sad face. Seriously though, who else would have wanted that??? And why haven’t I met them yet since obviously we are kindred spirits!
Going to VV two days in a row is not unheard of for me but wouldn’t have been necessary at all had I not shown the tees to my DH who then claimed them as his own! Of course.
So there I was, no shirt but the strong desire to turn something ANYTHING into a tank top. I looked at the pitiful pile of shirts I call a wardrobe and nothing was jumping out at me. I almost gave up then remembered the pile of unwanted items I had set aside for donation and jackpot! The Juno shirt! I was pregnant for Halloween two years ago and wore the obligatory Juno costume, nobody on our route seemed to understand…..I prefer to think they’re the ones losing out because of their lack of excellent cinematic viewage. Is viewage a word? Probably not…..just go with it mmmkay?
So anyway…..I started out with a plain baseball shirt
And cut the sleeves off
Okay so I may have forgotten to take a picture before I cut the sleeves off so I faked it……
Then I cut the edge of the sleeves off to use as straps
I saved the rest of the sleeve to turn into edging but I liked the rough cut formed by my scissors and the leftover serged seam.
At this point I was ready to attach the straps but Ralph thought I needed a
I just used a simple straight stitch to attach the strap but I may rip it out and use a zigzag/straight combo for better strength.
And then I was done!
But of course what project is complete without proper inspection?
It has the Cheese seal of approval 😉
The twins were turning one! Originally I was going to make two completely different blankets but I just ran out of time. Mostly because I have a major procrastination problem and at the time a bit of creative block. And while I liked the final outcome I feel like I rushed it and therefore I didn’t do as good a job as I could have.
Also, I have hardly any pictures of the process because I killed my previous phone. Drowned it actually, and all the pictures with it. It was a sad time. I did post a picture or two here before I took my phone for a swim but it hardly shows much.
At one point my bff Michelle said we should spend a crafty day together and I was all hells yeah! She may be regretting that now because I made her work like I owned sweatshop. We spent a feverish five hours working on this thing, her pining seams and ripping out the ones that couldn’t be persuaded to line up, me sewing them all back together. Her ironing. Me sewing. It was madness!! And then it was done! well the top anyhow.
I like to make my quilt sandwiches on the floor because it is the biggest area of free space that I can lay out the whole thing. And since my mother (lives right next door, is a better housekeeper, can be coerced into helping and until recently didn’t have a dog walking all over her house) has a really nice big floor space I tend to go there for the sandwiching process. There was more ironing and then taping and ironing and arranging and arranging and finally, pinning. We had at least 150 pins in it and needed more! Except I didn’t have any more note to self: you still need to buy more pins! and then it was time to bring M back to the train station so I was on my own for the quilting.
I made it about halfway when I knew there was no way I could ever finish it, and make an entire new quilt in the next 12 hours. I had failed the deadline miserably. So I stepped back, spread the quilt out and looked at it. Then I did some measurements and realized that I could cut it completely in half and finish at least the quilting on each. and then both girls would have a present, finished or not!
After finally completing the binding I was in such a hurry to get them delivered I forgot to take pictures! (major facepalm!) but I knew where they were going and it gave me an excuse to go visit the girlies at the same time.
So here they are, sort of, the end results of my (and M’s) blood, sweat, tears and time: