You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘flower’ tag.
I have a new found love of peasant dresses. Even if the elastic is a pain in the ass to put in and hurts my still healing, post carpal tunnel repaired wrist. And why does my machine not like to sew elastic together??? Wtf is up with that? It will bunch on the bottom no matter how much I adjust the tension. ONLY when I join the elastic. Seriously, it’s f’ed up.
Anyways…I had this amazing fabric just lying around for years waiting for the right project. I just couldn’t justify cutting it up when I was so uncertain what to do with it. I’m glad I didn’t because when I decided to make a dress I knew it would be perfect. It was and it turned into this….
I followed this pattern by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. It’s a free tutorial and quite easy to follow. The sizing was a bit off for my little one however. I followed the 12-18m size but for my teeny 16mo girl it still fit like a potato sack.
I don’t know about you but the only time I can get some real alone time with the sewing machine is after the kids have gone to bed. Unfortunately that means anything I need to try on them and adjust has to wait until morning and I’m not the most patient person so I get really excited for the kids to wake up after a night of crafting.
Today was no different.
After trying it on her I knew the elastic would need to be shortened and some sort of belt required to lessen the potato-sackedness help give it more shape.
I sewed the belt right to the front of the dress so I wouldn’t be able to lose it there would be more contrast along with the sleeves.
The end result was awesome. And she looks SO FRIGGIN CUTE!
I’m still debating whether putting a strip of contrast around the bottom is a good idea or a fantastic one.
*my OCD got in the way after putting the belt on too low and immediately I had to rip the seams and move it up. Kudos to anyone that noticed the difference between the picture of it on the bed vs on the girl.
I don’t normally start another project immediately following one because I like to revel in the glory of the awesomeness I created but I couldn’t help myself this time. I’ve got the picture in my mind and the fabric ready to go……stay tuned!
The best Mother’s Day so far.
I ❤ my boy.
Actually two bags! but I’ll post the other one later. Once I had the first one done having followed a pattern I wanted to see if I could do it “on the fly”.
I could. It was awesome.
Lets get back to topic… The desire for a new purse plus my impending lack of funds left me with a conundrum. Luckily I have a cabinet full of problem solving materials. And a friend who posts very helpful (and perfect) tutorial links!
This is my brand new bag.
As mentioned I followed a tutorial. This is an Osoberry Bag. And this is the tutorial I followed (pictures are excellent and VERY helpful for those of us that are visual learners). Here’s the link.
So as with everything I make I find something I want to change afterwards. With this it happened to be the strap. This was the original strap, all one piece and I probably just made it a bit too long so it had to be “fixed”.
I had a devil of a time finding these pieces because my local fabric store had just had a 50% off EVERYTHING and I was oblivious to it.
I made it adjustable and I’m liking the outcome. A lot.
My main fabric was a piece of Freebird by Momo that I’ve had kicking around for ages just waiting for the perfect project and the rest were large scraps of solids. I can see the buckle driving me nuts because it was a wee bit to big for the project so I am sure I will change it again at some point!