You are currently browsing the monthly archive for September 2011.

Yes, again.

There was a serious flaw in my strap design which coincidentally I had foreseen but hoped wouldn’t happen. Sadly, the only way to fix the problem was to take it apart and try a different approach.

image

This time, the fabric store had the materials and I was able to get the proper size rings. I got rid of the adjustable aspect and made the strap solid, attaching to the square rings on either side.

I like this strap version best of all and am definitely not changing it again! In fact, I may make more bags with a strap like this!

(notice the derby love? GO DISLOYALISTS!)

Advertisements

Actually two bags! but I’ll post the other one later. Once I had the first one done having followed a pattern I wanted to see if I could do it “on the fly”.

I could. It was awesome.

Lets get back to topic… The desire for a new purse plus my impending lack of funds left me with a conundrum. Luckily I have a cabinet full of problem solving materials. And a friend who posts very helpful (and perfect) tutorial links!

This is my brand new bag.

image

As mentioned I followed a tutorial. This is an Osoberry Bag. And this is the tutorial I followed (pictures are excellent and VERY helpful for those of us that are visual learners). Here’s the link.

image

So as with everything I make I find something I want to change afterwards. With this it happened to be the strap. This was the original strap, all one piece and I probably just made it a bit too long so it had to be “fixed”.

image

I had a devil of a time finding these pieces because my local fabric store had just had a 50% off EVERYTHING and I was oblivious to it.

image

I made it adjustable and I’m liking the outcome. A lot.

image

My main fabric was a piece of Freebird by Momo that I’ve had kicking around for ages just waiting for the perfect project and the rest were large scraps of solids. I can see the buckle driving me nuts because it was a wee bit to big for the project so I am sure I will change it again at some point!

And he does it with style…

image

I’m not going to cry…

image

I’m not going to cry…

image

Okay, I may have cried a little on the inside…

But on the outside I am very happy my boy had such a good first day of school!

Materials gathered….
image

Fabric taped to the floor and pins ready…
image

Helper…
image

Tied…
image

Machine sew on the edging…
image

Finished by hand (or paw)….
image

Finished!
image

Paddington made a blanket (with a little help from me)
image