You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘pastel’ tag.

The twins were turning one! Originally I was going to make two completely different blankets but I just ran out of time. Mostly because I have a major procrastination problem and at the time a bit of creative block. And while I liked the final outcome I feel like I rushed it and therefore I didn’t do as good a job as I could have.

Also, I have hardly any pictures of the process because I killed my previous phone. Drowned it actually, and all the pictures with it. It was a sad time. I did post a picture or two here before I took my phone for a swim but it hardly shows much.

At one point my bff Michelle said we should spend a crafty day together and I was all hells yeah! She may be regretting that now because I made her work like I owned sweatshop. We spent a feverish five hours working on this thing, her pining seams and ripping out the ones that couldn’t be persuaded to line up, me sewing them all back together. Her ironing. Me sewing. It was madness!! And then it was done! well the top anyhow.

I like to make my quilt sandwiches on the floor because it is the biggest area of free space that I can lay out the whole thing. And since my mother (lives right next door, is a better housekeeper, can be coerced into helping and until recently didn’t have a dog walking all over her house) has a really nice big floor space I tend to go there for the sandwiching process. There was more ironing and then taping and ironing and arranging and arranging and finally, pinning. We had at least 150 pins in it and needed more! Except I didn’t have any more note to self: you still need to buy more pins! and then it was time to bring M back to the train station so I was on my own for the quilting.

I made it about halfway when I knew there was no way I could ever finish it, and make an entire new quilt in the next 12 hours. I had failed the deadline miserably. So I stepped back, spread the quilt out and looked at it. Then I did some measurements and realized that I could cut it completely in half and finish at least the quilting on each. and then both girls would have a present, finished or not!

After finally completing the binding I was in such a hurry to get them delivered I forgot to take pictures! (major facepalm!) but I knew where they were going and it gave me an excuse to go visit the girlies at the same time.

So here they are, sort of, the end results of my (and M’s) blood, sweat, tears and time:




Having never tried to make a gender neutral anything before I hadn’t realized how hard it was going to be for me. I am blaming my sister-in-law for this (joking).

My brother and his wife have elected not to find out whether they are having a boy or a girl so the rest of us have to suffer wait patiently as well. I do not have patience. Ask anyone that knows me. So when I decided to make them a blanket for the baby I had no idea where to start.

I had quilters block (bad pun intended).

The first mistake I made was not having a clear plan. I generally make things off the cuff as a rule but normally I have some idea what I want it to look like when I finish. Sometimes I draw pictures to give the idea more of an outline but I lost my good drawing pencil. I think a certain 3-year-old had something to do with its disappearance but I’m not certain.

The first idea went down in flames. Pastel coloured flames. With teddy bears. And there was too much blue. Even though blue is her favourite colour it was too boyish.

I found some blue and green striped fabrics. Mixed them with the bears and the pastels and it was a mess.

I tried adding more green. more yellow. more white. nothing. every block I tried just looked more horrible than the one before. I needed to walk away.

I started digging through my fabric stash trying to put the baby blanket out of my mind and start work on something else when I fell upon this large piece of bright striped fabric I bought at Ikea in the summer. and thats when the lightbulb went off. I may not be able to make pastels work but I could definitely have fun with bright stripes!

But my quilters block hadn’t quite worn off yet because after making this…
I felt like something was still missing so I ended up ripping this apart as well.

And then I did this….
And I decided I liked it.

The blue still makes it a bit boyish but hey I have a 50/50 chance that they will have a boy! and I may still make something else if I get a chance to “see” the baby at the next ultrasound.

Twit Feed

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 289 other followers