Having never tried to make a gender neutral anything before I hadn’t realized how hard it was going to be for me. I am blaming my sister-in-law for this (joking).

My brother and his wife have elected not to find out whether they are having a boy or a girl so the rest of us have to suffer wait patiently as well. I do not have patience. Ask anyone that knows me. So when I decided to make them a blanket for the baby I had no idea where to start.

I had quilters block (bad pun intended).

The first mistake I made was not having a clear plan. I generally make things off the cuff as a rule but normally I have some idea what I want it to look like when I finish. Sometimes I draw pictures to give the idea more of an outline but I lost my good drawing pencil. I think a certain 3-year-old had something to do with its disappearance but I’m not certain.

The first idea went down in flames. Pastel coloured flames. With teddy bears. And there was too much blue. Even though blue is her favourite colour it was too boyish.

I found some blue and green striped fabrics. Mixed them with the bears and the pastels and it was a mess.

I tried adding more green. more yellow. more white. nothing. every block I tried just looked more horrible than the one before. I needed to walk away.

I started digging through my fabric stash trying to put the baby blanket out of my mind and start work on something else when I fell upon this large piece of bright striped fabric I bought at Ikea in the summer. and thats when the lightbulb went off. I may not be able to make pastels work but I could definitely have fun with bright stripes!

But my quilters block hadn’t quite worn off yet because after making this…
I felt like something was still missing so I ended up ripping this apart as well.

And then I did this….
And I decided I liked it.

The blue still makes it a bit boyish but hey I have a 50/50 chance that they will have a boy! and I may still make something else if I get a chance to “see” the baby at the next ultrasound.